Monday, February 25, 2008

N.H.D Reflection

NHD was a handful, but I learned a lot from this whole expierence that much I can say. There was a lot of work to do during the whole process. It started with choosing what I was going to do for my topic.I started out with the topics of fire fighters, women suffrage,getting rid of mayor Rizzo,and the underground Railroad.The next day My teacher gave me a book called The Under Ground Railroad by william still. That was how My project was on William Still and his life and what he did with he Underground Railroad.
personally I didn't like that we had to be so specific and picky with the annotations. I found just doing the annotations was long and tedious I had to go to the websites and books multiple time to find all the parts of the annotations.A lot of site didn't have an author. Or the sites were missing part of what I needed. Next year I'm going to get all of the site every single part ahead of time.
we had workshops for two hours the week or two before the event. I thought the workshops should be changed for next year A lot of people said the workshops were chaotic. I didn't like the workshops; since all I did was read my play for two hours which was helpful with helping me memorize my lines and stage directions but that's it.(Even though I didn't think they were helpful.)I guess that's an oximoron.I really don't know what to think of the workshops.It was helpful that one of the plays gave me some feedback.Though it was the day before N.H.D. I think the group s should have given more feedback to the plays.
I did my project on William Still who wrote a book on the Underground Railroad. My project was a play it was a solo play.It was a really fun project. I think the judges liked it.( It was hard to tell. what they thought) my play was fun I was William still as my character. in the play I told stories about important characters that were in William still's book. for example marie weems who disguised her self up as a man to escape,or William still's brother peter. His mom ran away when peter was a grownup he went to philadelphia to find his mom and found his brother. The judges asked me about how I thought of the topic I did my project on,how my play related to the theme of conflict and compromise.( An obvious question)
I may have hated N.H.D at times, but In the end I found the project worthwhile. I'l have the knowledge to do an even better project next year. next uyear I will come prepared for N.H,D knowing what is ahead of me. My family was so proud of me when they found out i'm going to cities which is the next level in the contest. what made it even cooler was I got the news on my dad's birthday. (My grandmom even wanted me to brag to everyone)

No comments: